Thursday 16 June 2011

Real party: Aqua and Lime

This morning you are in for a treat as Isa Maria shares her sons third birthday party with us.  The details are fabulous.

Today I'm excited to share my son Joseph's birthday party! He will be three tomorrow and at the weekend we had a small family get together with little handmade touches.

The original inspiration was the film Up which was the theme Joseph requested. He loves the film which is a great story of hope and friendship so I wanted to honour his wishes for an Up theme without having to buy lots of film merchandise.



If you have seen the film you'll know there is a house that gets lifted up in the air by a huge bunch of balloons. My Mum's friend made a house shaped cake with the two main characters from the film out of icing. It turns out she had never seen the film so she only put a couple of balloons instead of the hundreds that were meant to lift the house but Joseph didn't seem to notice.


The rest of the theme was based on balloons with a lime and aqua colour scheme. I used crepe streamers all over the place and attempted a tissue paper pom! I bought some patterned digital paper from Sweet Papers on Etsy and was able to use my circle cutter to make lots of circles out of card. Joseph helped cut them out and passed them to me to thread for garlands which we hung from the balloons. He also helped with gluing them together with a wooden cocktail stick in the middle for cupcake toppers.

 

We had cupcakes in polka dot cases echoing the balloon/circle theme. I also made round sugar cookies which I baked with oven proof lollypop sticks to look like balloons on string. I covered these with Royal icing in pale blue and green and dipped some in round sprinkles.  

 

Favours were mini glassine bags full of jelly babies. Each bag was topped with a patterned circle and stuck on with green gingham Japanese deco tape. We also gave out the balloon cookies wrapped in a food safe bag secured with deco tape and mini bottles of bubbles which also tied in with the balloon theme! I removed the labels and added some more deco tape for decoration.  


I was so easy to add some handmade touches to the day and it didn't take long to put together. Most of the items like the glassine bags, deco tape, circle cutter I had already but you can find similar on Etsy or most craft shops. The digital papers are so versatile.You print them out yourself on either paper or card and can print them as many times as you need. I had plans for paper chains and pinwheels but just didn't have time. The possibilities though are endless!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...